Saturday, April 3, 2010

Writing this from my iPad

Writing this update from my new iPad. I wanted to see how fast and well I could type on this thing and see if I could use it in a more productive capacity. Its also a good chance to write a post on my initial impressions of it.

Typing: Not bad at all, just like the iphone you have to get used to letting it do auto-capitalization and auto-correcting minor misspellings. It does slow you down to type numbers and some special keys that are not shiftable like they would be on a standard keyboard. It is also going to take some time to get used to the lack of clicking and the travel of a normal keyboard. The slight thump you get as you type on the screen is a little strange, but I'm sure that I will get used to it very quickly.

The Screen: The iPad has an absolutely beautiful screen. It is like the 3gs and will require semi-frequent cleaning.

Speed: Damn fast, very freaking fast.

iPhone application support: Not bad, but I would always choose an iPad specific app over an iphone sized app. The text is just too big and the screen space is waisted. Iphone games scale up pretty well and seem very playable. There are several apps that I have removed from my iPad because the web experience is better than using a zoomed up iphone app.

IPad specific apps: Wow, there is a lot of opportunity to create some really great apps for this thing. The apps that I have been using so far are working very well and some of them really show how good this device can be. I can't wait to see some of my favorite apps updated for the iPad. Hello tweetie!

Negatives: All the standard complaints apply, no camera, limited multitasking, locked down environment. The biggest complaint I have so far is iTunes. The syncing process can be painful and slow. I have rearranged my applications twice so far, the first attempt was done on the iPad and was wiped out by a sync. The second attempt was done on the desktop and seems to be correct now. I have had this same problem on the iphone. I'm having another problem with. Google calendar syncing, but that seems to be a problem with google.

I'll post more information in the future. Bye for now.