Sunday, April 27, 2008

Minor Review: Refurbished iMac

Yesterday was my first day with my new iMac.  This now means that my main machine is no longer a PC running windows XP.  I have been using a Macbook Pro for about a year now and have very much enjoyed it.

The machine I purchased is a Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Buying it refurbished saved me about $300.  I'm unable to determine any difference from a brand new machine.  The system seems very fast and responsive.  The screen is bright and crisp.  It is probably the best LCD screen I have ever had.


In order to play Windows based games and run photoshop (which I have for windows), I also got Parallels Desktop.  Parallels allows you to run XP in a window while using OS X. You can copy files between the systems and share other resources as well. The XP install went fine, but I have yet to install any other programs in XP.

I downloaded World of Warcraft for OS X and I'm able to play with almost no problems.  There is some jerkiness when entering new areas, but that is most likely related to the amount of memory my machine has.  This machine came with 1gig of ram which is really not enough, but it is extremely expensive to purchase memory upgrades from apple.

Apple wanted $600 for the 4gig upgrade (OUCH!). I was able to get the same amount of memory from an online store for $82.

After a month of use I will write a second review to talk about the impact the memory upgrade has. I'm also looking forward to doing some development on this machine.