Friday, April 30, 2004

IDE Change


Currently trying to force myself into using the Eclipse IDE instead of my old favorite SlickEdit.

SlickEdit has been a favorite of mine for a few years now for a couple of reasons. First it has a VI based editor mode available. Second, and more importantly, it doesn't try to force itself into your development process. It's happy with just being an editor if you want it to be. I hate it when an IDE is built so that it has to be totally integrated into your development process. Sure I want debugging, sure I want package management, etc. But I also want to be able to build my project in a command shell, on a box with no IDE installed.

Eclipse tries to be more than just an IDE and although it is very configurable it can still be difficult to keep it simple. The problem is that many of the features in Eclipse are really powerful. I'm going to give it a serious try for a while and hopefully I'll get used to it. It helps that its free too.


Current Music: Morrissey "Everyday is Like Sunday"